Monday, November 10, 2008

Clip and save for posterity!


After 2 weeks in the Give Me The Rock Monster League (20 teams, 8 active players, 9 cats), I am in first place with a nearly insurmountable lead of 1-1/2 games with only 19 weeks left to play. I think my magic number is 169.

I wouldn't say it's been smoke and mirrors, but I have had David Lee and Nick Collison in my lineup the last 2 weeks and still won by a nice margin. Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh have been my cornerstones so far, with a pleasant surprise coming from Mickael Pietrus.

I've been mildly active on the waiver wire - not much out there with 200 people on rosters. I benched Nick Collison for this week, but he's worth holding onto if Chris Wilcox stays hurt for any length of time, just like the end of last year. I picked up Aaron Brooks, early during Thursday night's game with Portland. He was on my radar, and I knew that he had the potential for a big night. And last night his picture was in the boxscore on Yahoo - that means he's a superduperstar, right? He's on the bench right now, but if he ever becomes a starter, look out. He's pretty much a scorer right now, not much defense or passing. Not the best of attributes for a PG.

Anyway, here's my lineup for this week, locked and loaded:

PG - Joe Johnson (4 games)
SG - Mike Miller (3)
G - Mario Chalmers (4)
SF - Mickael Pietrus (4)
PF - Chris Bosh (3)
F - Marvin Williams (4)
C - David Lee (4)
U - Flip Murray (4)

Opponent - One Eyed Monster (Hi Jake!)
PG - Devin Harris (4)
SG - DeShawn Stevenson (2)
G - Derrick Rose (3)
SF - Danny Granger (4)
PF - Pau Gasol (3)
F - Emeka Okafor (3)
C - Brook Lopez (4)
U - Kendrick Perkins (4)

Well, I outgame him 30-27, but the key will be Devin Harris's ankle. If he can play the full compliment of games, that hurts me. He hasn't been big on assists or FG%, but free throws are very solid. He's playing 4 center eligibles, so he should win rebounding, but I'm not giving up FG% just yet. He's only got one true 3-point gunner in Stevenson, but only playing 2 games definitely helps. The 2 I'm really worried about are Gasol and Granger. Those are the money players, but I think Bosh and Johnson can cancel them out. I'm eyeing another 6-3 or 5-4 win, with wins in points, FT%,3's, and steals, losses in blocks, rebounds and turnovers, and with FG% and assists in play. Not a walk in the park, but this is a week where champions put these teams away, like the '06 Mavericks.


Aside from this, what's with all the ankle owies? Josh Smith, Tony Parker, Devin Harris, Kevin Martin, some other guys with less fantasy impact. Guys, tape it up - or is this your way of boosting the economy by trying to pump up Johnson & Johnson? Kirk Hinrich, thank you for being so bold as to give up your thumb, as opposed to a pedestrian ankle. I salute you.

2 comments:

Nels said...

Glad I was in the Top 12 so I could make the screenshot! You should have gone all the way down to 20 though so people could see just how truly dominating you are.

Doneycat said...

It gets all fuzzy after I see where my team is. It's like there's only 3 teams in the league.