Wednesday, October 14, 2009

GMTR Mock Draft rounds 8+9



Marvin (Berry) and (Buddy) Love

So I'm at the point where I need a small forward to round out my roster. Technically, I don't really need one right now as I could start filling up the utilities, but if I wait too long, any small forward I have to start will start pulling in negatives, like, say a Richard Jefferson. Living in Atlanta, I like Marvin Williams. He's got a great mid-range jumper, is athletic enough to finish on the break, added the three pointer to his game last year, is a starter, and can pull in enough counting stats in a week to be dangerous. Plus, if any other Hawks starter goes down, he usually picks up the slack - he had 2 great games last year when Joe Johnson was out. I don't like that he's young and already has back problems. I heartily approve of the fact that he does a lot of things "good", but nothing "great". He will get to the line a lot (3rd most on the Hawks behind Johnson and Smith) and make more than 80% of them, which is nice. I've built a pretty good percentages team, so it's nice getting a PF that won't hurt me there. As I said in the draft blurb, it's a better roto pick than a head-to-head pick, but I really can't complain about getting him in round 8.

You know what else I like? Big white guys who can rebound and not miss a lot of shots. Kevin Love raises his hand and says, "Hey, that's me!" He rebounded a-plenty when Al Jefferson was out, and just before Big Al got hurt, he was getting his share of boards alongside Al. Love is going to get a double double this year - really it won't be too hard, because he can make 4 shots, 2 free throws, and find himself around 10 misses a night. It's what he does when not doing those things are going to be the key for him. Supposedly, he is a great passer - well let's see it! Jefferson can finish, pass it to him! We haven't seen the defense yet from him, and I'd be shocked if I see it this year. At this point in the draft, I wanted to collect guys who won't pull things I have off the table, so getting a good rebound guy with solid %'s (I'd like to see him shoot closer to 50% from the field) is what I wanted here. Plus he'll hold onto the ball - TO's are for suckas.

So examining my team on the Monster, I look to be horrible in points and threes (even with Ray Allen and Troy Murphy). I won't be able to make a serious dent in points because all of the scorers are off the board after 100 or so picks. Since it is a head-to-head league, I could get lucky if Boston and Indiana both play 4 games in a week (which they do 4 times, once in the playoffs). I'll need at least one more guy who can maybe pull in a couple of threes a night if I want to go ahead and try to back-door a win in threes. I am below average in assists. Again, with Chris Paul leading the way, I could back-door a win if he gets 60 assists in a week (3 or 4 games). With 4 picks left, I can gamble on a guy who might get assists, as I'll now have counterbalances to that guy's likely deficiencies in percentages and TO's. Right now, I have a great shooting team, both from the field and the line. I could now possibly handle a chucker who shoots 41%, or I can handle a center who shoots 60%, since I'm not too worried about the volume. I'm good in rebounding - that probably will be the easiest thing to improve, for me and for everyone else. Other counting stats are okay; here, I'll have to hope for good schedules in particular weeks.

Four picks left, we'll see how the other teams are shaping up.

No comments: