Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Where I examine the World Wide Leader...


You may not know about it since you might not be on their sites for fantasy hoops, but nba.com and ESPN have brought together their fantasy games into one platform. I have some experience with ESPN's fantasy site for hoops - it runs quite smoothly in drafting and league management and the ability to auction draft is sweet. I still don't like that position eligibility locks in once the season starts. Anyone who has read 82games knows that players oft play more than one position and sometimes, over the course of a season, players move positions due to injuries. I always liked this on Yahoo!, where sometimes a guy gets a position added after a few weeks and can really open up your roster, especially if you incorporate a big-ball or small-ball strategy. Really, it's a small complaint, and ESPN does just fine for many a fantasy player. And from what I've seen, they've opened it up a little so that some players are eligible for more than 1 position, more so than last year. Bully for them.

On the other side, I'm glad that nba.com has moved away from the fantasy side. They were brutal last year. First of all, they started late. Then they didn't have all they players. And then drafts kept screwing up. What should have been an hour long process took over 3 hours. Then it didn't count stats correctly the first 2 weeks. Maybe they fixed it, I don't know, because we ditched it then and there. It's a shame, because they had some things I liked, like free stat tracking, links to in-game box scores on nba.com (still nice, but I don't go out of my way to go to them now), and the chance to make multi-team trades. There is nothing like the satisfaction of pulling of a three team deal where everyone improves (but one team really doesn't and you just wanted to screw them). Their Stock Exchange they had the last couple of years was cool too, but that got real old after a while. Count me as one of the many who started it last October then gave it up by Thanksgiving.

But anyway, I want to look some more at ESPN. This year, they have built upon last year, where everything was revised, fresh, and responsive to what a lot of the people want (just that old SNL skit from the 80's or early 90's where Kevin Nealon and Dana Carvey were male strippers who shaved their pubes "for da people". I can't find it - please tell me someone else remembers this. And no, it's not the only SNL skit from that era I remember. What about Schmitt's Gay?) Now everything isn't so new, and they don't have to tout everything, it's just smoothly up and running. I like a lot of their league options, and leagues are very fungible for what you want. Really, it's 2009, it should be like that.

Since it's been up and running, they take it seriously. While there was not much content over the summer months, they've got their staff putting out product now. For instance, Josh Whitling has a great article up today about 9-cat (turnover) leagues (ESPN defaults to 8-cat, no TO's). It was good to hear him mentioning playing against the "point guards and power forwards" strategy that is ESPN's fantasy basketball mind numbing mantra like "Mola Ram, Sula Ram", with Matthew Berry as their Mola Ram (after a few Long Islands, ladies, they kinda look similar). While they don't turn the fantasy world upside down, they do write good enough articles where the novice and the high intermediate players can get something out of it. And they have content, unlike some platforms that have their big board un-updated since July 31st (cough, Yahoo, cough, Brandon Funs-cough-ton). At least Yahoo's stat tracker is free this year; they must have felt the heat from ESPN who has had it for free already.

Here's one last thing I want to bring up. With all their writers, ESPN did a 10 team mock draft last week. Again, they don't seem to think turnovers matter, so it's an eight cat league. Whatever, but I tend to think that turnovers give you a truer value of a player. Dwight Howard's TO's are a major knock against him, enough that it's tough for me to see him as a real MVP when he can bring two glaring negatives to the table. Anyway, their draft goes along, and you can really see many of them praying to the church of PG/PF's (save for Whitling, even as he got the #1 pick and CP3; needless to say, I liked his draft). I'm going to focus in on one, Keith Lipscomb, a very solid writer for the four-letter.

Keith had the #8 pick and took Dwight Howard, perfectly fine for 8-cat H2H. He comes right back with Al Jefferson. I love it, two 20-10 guys off the board. Now ESPN standard league employ 13 roster spots, 3 bench, only 1 center, and 3 utility. If it were a 2-center must play league, I'd think about coming back with another center to screw other teams over and to lock down big ball cats. ESPN 1 center, I can see going non big or maybe even PF. But Lipscomb goes point guard and at 28 takes Baron Davis. Now even if Boom Dizzle were in his free-wheeling Nellieball time, it's a bad pick. First of all, the Clips pace was near standstill. And while he'll get assists, steals and threes, none of them are really game and roster changers. He's a shooter with FG% in the low 40's, and if he gets any volume, it negates one of your two big men. He made a pure roto pick in a head to head league, and he got sucked into the PG/PF mantra. With a big 2 like Howard and Jefferson, I'd look for a PG that can build off of those 2's FG%, give up 3's, then maybe look for steals from non PG's. I'm thinking Rose, Parker and Miller to name three. Rose isn't that big of a stretch - he went #32. And Lipscomb took Parker in round 5 at #48. Josh Smith went at #31 - that would have been a serious pick for him at 28. Maybe he can trade Davis later in the year. You can pore over the rest of the draft and one writer's analysis. I'm surprised he didn't bring this up.

The deal is, I like ESPN's site, but you can get bashed over the head with their "point guards and power forwards" strategy. I know, there's more to it than that. Just be sure you don't blindly follow it, or you'll be stuck with Randy Foye as your shooting guard. As of right now, I'm not playing ESPN this year, but I can be convinced if someone invites me to a league. Good luck to you if it's your platform of choice.

No comments: