Monday, October 5, 2009

GMTR Mock Rounds 4+5


The third round in the Give Me The Rock Readers Mock Draft was a tough one to wrap your head around. Point guards Jameer Nelson, Rajon Rondo, and Tony Parker all jumped off the board (as well as Memhet Okur, a good but not great small-ball team center), while more established wings and power forward types came off in round 4 (Josh Smith, Vince Carter, Kevin Garnett, Shawn Marion, Carmelo Anthony, Tim Duncan, and Elton Brand). So after 47 picks, the order of players picked may not have been perfect, the right players were mostly off the board. I had a glimmer of hope that some former 1st round picks with question marks may still be on the board (Brand, Garnett, Marion), but that all happened right before my pick. C'est la mocque.

As the fourth round was rolling around, I could see some teams clear strategies, mainly big ball, small ball, mid ball/across the board, and whatever pick 12 (Project Spurs) is trying to do.

Here are the small ball teams I wanted to attack:
Pick 3 (Kardashian Babymaker) Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Gilbert Arenas
Pick 5 (Ncizzle) Kobe Bryant, Chauncey Billups, Kevin Martin, Al Harrington
Pick 6 (Killer Instincts) Danny Granger, Jose Calderon, Mehmet Okur
Pick 10 (pwangsta) Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Antawn Jamison, Jason Terry

At this point in the draft, I wanted with my back-to-back picks to make dents in both big ball and small ball teams by taking one of each. I had one big in mind, and if he was taken, I'd go with 2 guards. Those 2 guards were Ray Allen and Monta Ellis. I knew at some point, Allen would have to come off the board because of his threes and FT%. While his FT% is over 90%, the volume isn't there. But coupled with a big who is mediocre from the stripe but with not a lot a volume, it smooths out into a palatable figure. Anyway, I knew that Ray had to be a target eventually (at least before my pick 72 in round 6) for either the small ball teams to lock down 3's or big ball teams who wanted some 3's without taking a big hit in FG%. So with Allen and Murphy, I had a nice block of threes where I can definitely hold my own week to week. If I wanted to come back with Monta Ellis, I would be solidifying FG% from the guard spot, getting more points, and adding to steals (with little to no addition to threes). In the end, while I thought this would be a good piece, I wanted to get another center since not many had been taken, and I thought there would be a run on C's in the next 10-15 picks.

I thought Nene would be my strongest option for my team. He shot over 60% from the field last year, and I have to believe he can get near that high again. Rebounds are decent but not spectacular. Free throw percentage is fair/good for a center. The big thing for me was that he led all center eligibles in steals last season (even more than Dwight Howard). Since Denver will be playing at least 3 games a week every week of the season, I figure that he should give me 4 steals a week from the center position. That's going to be a bonus that teams who get centers later won't get. So while Monta Ellis would have been good for me in steals, I believe that Nene + a later round guard can give me just as many if not more thefts as Ellis + a later round center who probably won't steal much at all.

Three players I looked at were taken with the next three picks: Al Horford (who can be good for a double-double and a not-bad assist guy for a center eligible), Monta Ellis, and Paul Pierce who made it into the 5th round. While I like PP, I thought the negative he brings would take too much away from what I'm doing so far, namely in FG% and TO's. I have a feeling there are enough SF's out there who can approach his scoring but won't turn it over/miss as many shots.

Right now, things I need to work on are points and assists, possibly more steals, could always use more rebounds, and would not like to lose much in FT%. Is that so much to ask?

No comments: